Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Naztec Lions

My wife and I love to travel. Really, who doesn't? The sights and sounds of a hundred different cultures, each one more interesting than the last. There are enough strange things out there to keep anyone busy for years. One of my favorite destinations is Peru. There is just so much to see and do there, from seeing Machu Picchu to hiking through the rain forest, this country is filled with fascinating locales, people and animals.

Needless to say I was excited when my wife told me she wanted to go to Peru. 

"Sure! There are still plenty of places that I would love to see in that country! Did you have anything in mind?"

She gazed at me thoughtfully for a second, biting her lip as she thought of the wonders that South America could hold. "I want to see those Naztec lions."

".....Um.....I'm not familiar with them. Where in Peru do they live?" I asked. 

"You're the one who told me about them!" 

"Did I say anything else about them.....?" 



"Yes. You said they were too big to see from the ground. You need to take a helicopter."

Now, I'm pretty familiar with South America. I've been fascinated with the rich bio-diversity of a continent that has some pretty weird stuff. That said, I think I would have remembered telling her about giant lions. They don't tend to be the kind of thing that would slip your mind.


Approximately to scale



And then it clicked. The Nazca lines. My wife wanted to see the Nazca lines. 

She still hasn't fully forgiven me for getting her excited about gigantic predatory cats when they just turned out to be some lines in the dirt. You win some, you lose some.
Complete with big pointy teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment